Starting An Internet Marketing Business
Starting an Internet business is an inexpensive way to
create additional cash flow.
You might consider starting an Internet business as a sideline and building it
into a commercially viable venture. Or you might prefer to put aside a specific
period of time and work full-time on creating a top quality commercial web
Either way, you'll need to approach it systematically and methodically to have
a real chance of succeeding.
A Short History Of Internet Marketing
Internet Marketing as a viable way to do business has only recently come
into its own.
When businesses first started going online in the early to mid 1990s,
commercial web sites were often nothing more than online brochures and product
catalogues. Although credit card payment processing was available, Internet
users were concerned about putting their credit card details on the net, so
relatively few transactions occurred online.
All that has changed with the development of new encryption methods and secure
site technology. Online purchasing has exploded in the past decade and is
expected to grow exponentially in the years to come. Many of the Internet
marketing pioneers became millionaires, and fledgling online entrepreneurs are
now matching their achievements in a fraction of the time. Books and courses
revealing their Internet marketing secrets are readily available for
Factor in the advances in technology over the past five years and it's obvious
that there's never been an easier time for starting an Internet business.
Are You Suited To Starting An Internet Business?
There are a number of preliminary questions you need to ask yourself:
- Do you have the necessary time available for starting an Internet
- Do you have a workspace suitable for running an online business?
- Do you have (or are you willing to obtain) the necessary hardware
(computer) and software (HTML Editor, E-book software, etc)?
- Do you enjoy working alone (at least initially)?
- Are you willing to spend long hours in front of a computer screen?
- Do you know (or are you willing to learn) how to create a web site?
- Do you have a product or area of expertise that is in great demand and
- Is your expertise current or do your need a refresher course or
additional home study?
- Are you good at organizing information into a digestible step-by-step
- Do you know (or are you willing to learn) the rules of successful
- Are you willing to create and run a newsletter for your web site?
- Are you willing to answer e-mail queries or purchase software to
automate this function?
If you answered yes to all of these questions (or if you have other ways
of ensuring that these points will be addressed), then you're ready embark on
your new venture.
Starting A Small Business
The first thing you need to know is that all the basic rules for starting a
small business apply to starting an Internet business. You'll need to do
surveys, write a business plan, set up a business structure, register a
business name, and all the other steps required for setting up a small
One important decision you need to make is whether your business will operate
exclusively online or will have an offline presence as well.
The advantages to having a strictly online business are:
- You can work from home, thereby eliminating any overhead
- You can be a one-person operation.
- You won't require local council approval because you won't have clients
coming to your home.
- You can choose your own hours.
- You can create and market electronic products (such as e-books, reports
and software) that cost nothing to produce.
- You can sell your expertise via e-mail or telephone consultations or
through electronic products.
- You can promote other people's products and earn a commission for each
The disadvantages are the same as those for any home business:
Other Points To Consider
- You may feel socially isolated.
- You may be distracted by personal chores or activities.
- You may find it hard to stick to a schedule.
Before starting an Internet business, there are other points you'll need to
consider. Some of these have already been raised by the small questionnaire on
this page. In addition:
Online vs Offline Businesses
- You'll need to devote a substantial amount of time to creating
professional electronic products and building a web site.
- You'll also need to set aside time to learn the rules of Internet
- You may have to hire staff or outsource work if your business grows
beyond a one-person operation.
Starting an Internet business does not limit you to conducting business
strictly online. You may decide to offer your product or services offline as
Ready, Set, Go!
- You could set this up from the beginning when starting an Internet
business or you may decide to extend your business offline at some later
stage. Either way, this can work to expand your business exponentially.
- You can continue to run the business from your home office but take
advantage of offline resources as well, including newspaper and magazine
advertising, telephone and fax communication, public presentations, courses
and workshops, product distributors and face-to-face client contact.
- You may wish to restrict your client contact to on-site visits, i.e.,
schedule meetings at their place of business or in neutral settings such as
restaurants or coffee shops. Or you might use a distributor to take your
products to the offline market in addition to offering them through your
- You could utilize online client contact to promote offline promotional
activities. Use your imagination to come up with new ways to combine both
aspects of your business to your best advantage.
Once you're made the decision to start an Internet business, you need to get
focused on how you're going to approach it. There are any number of models for
achieving Internet marketing success so you may wish to get an overview of what
Without a doubt, Rich Schefren is one of the best business coaches for internet
marketers . A guru to the biggest names in the business, Rich will help you
clarify your approach to internet marketing so that you won't waste time on
non-essential activities and sabotage your own success. To get his
life-changing free report, click on The Business Manifesto.
Your Next Step:
- If you watched the videos about Site Build It! (SBI) and liked what you
saw, visit the SBI web site to learn more.
- For expert advice on starting an Internet business, visit the
Internet Marketing Leaders page.
This site is purely educational and we make no claims
or guarantees with regard to the information
presented. Please consult a certified NLP
practitioner for individual coaching in the use of
NLP techniques. We strongly advise consulting a
financial industry professional before embarking on a
wealth creation journey.