NLP Physiology Strategies
Physiology is the science that deals with the functions and
vital processes of living organisms, including human beings. NLP uses the
term primarily to refer to body posture and movement.
Most people are familiar with the idea of changing your state of mind through
manipulating your body (in other words, changing your physiology):
Any change in your biochemistry affects your state of mind.
- You can change how you feel by ingesting food, especially
comfort foods like chocolate or ice cream
- You can change how you feel with alcohol or
- You can relax with a warm shower or a long
- You can discharge tension through walking, running or
hitting a punching bag
- You can energize yourself by listening to fast
- You can slow yourself down with deep
But are you also aware that changing the way you
move your body can have a subtle but important influence on the
way you feel?
Here's a quick experiment to illustrate this point:
Changing your physiology is probably the simplest way to change
your frame of mind in an instant.
- Try to feel depressed as you jump up and down and shake your hands in
- Try to feel confident as you slump your shoulders and look down.
- Try to feel tired and listless as you march around the room.
Preliminary Physiology Exercise
- Stand in front of a full-length mirror.
- Watch yourself in the mirror as you stand, sit, walk, breathe and
- If you were a detached observer watching this person (you) go through
these motions, what first impressions would you form of him or her?
- Take a few minutes and make a note of them.
- Is there anything you'd like to change?
How would you prefer to be perceived?
- Make a note of these desirable changes.
The Basic Physiology Strategy
Which of these behaviors would you like to install as a habit?
- Still standing in front of the mirror, experiment with deliberately
changing your physiology, using 'self confidence' as an example of a
Ask yourself these questions, then perform the appropriate
- How would you move if you were extremely confident?
- How would you sit if you were extremely confident?
- How would you breathe if you were extremely
- How would you look if you were extremely confident?
- What gestures would you make if you were extremely
- Turn away from the mirror and practice these movements one at a time
for few minutes.
- Notice how if feels to move your body self-confidently.
- Notice your frame of mind as you move this way.
Your Next Step:
- Read the list you made earlier of desirable states.
- Choose a state you consider to be extremely important for your ongoing
success (e.g., self-confidence).
- Use your body to discover how you'd stand, sit, move, breathe and
gesture if you felt that way.
- Write it on a small piece of paper. Place this on your notice board or
in your wallet or purse.
- For one week, whenever you walk anywhere, adopt the walk that elicits
- If it makes sense, train yourself to always walk this way.
- Practice when you're out in the world.
- Don't beat yourself up for not remembering to do this. Instead, just do
it whenever you DO remember.
- When you've mastered this process, return to the Wealth Mindset
You'll soon come to realize that change doesn't have to be
This site is purely educational and we make no claims or
guarantees with regard to the information presented.
Please consult a certified NLP practitioner for
individual coaching in the use of NLP techniques. We
strongly advise consulting a financial industry
professional before embarking on a wealth creation
How To Change Any
Area Of Your Life… At Your Own
If there's something
in your life that stops you from
getting what you want, Michael
Norman offers a simple way to
Click on this graphic to find out
Hypnosis – Valuable Tool or
Before you make up your mind, read
British hypnotherapist has to say about this
controversial approach to change.
Or click on this image to try it for yourself: